01 Dec 2021
Holiday Snacks and Treats that are Good for your Smile!
At the practice of Dr. William V. Carlo, we are proud to help patients throughout the Bankers Hill, San Diego, CA area achieve healthy, gorgeous smiles with comprehensive dental care solutions. Even though we provide a wide range of services in our dental practice, the smile’s health depends on the care patients take at home. While brushing and flossing are the foundation of good oral hygiene, they are not the only aspect for patients to consider. Many of us tend to splurge on many sweet treats during the holidays, including cookies and candy. But these can be incredibly detrimental to the smile when bacteria in the mouth convert the sugars to acids and contribute to the formation of tooth decay. This holiday season, take some time to learn about foods that can be good for your smile and make a conscious effort to incorporate them into your diet.
Which holiday snacks are healthy for my teeth?
While it may be tempting to reach for Santa’s cookies, other snacks might be readily available and are suitable for your smile. Below are just a few of the treats that patients will want to think about when they’re faced with the family dinner buffet!
- Cheese and milk products. Dairy products are perfect for the teeth and bones. The calcium in cheese and milk and strengthen the teeth. Drinking milk helps in neutralizing the acids in the mouth, while dry, hard cheese can be consumed to help remove plaque and bacteria from the teeth.
- Carrots and apples. Carrots and apples are great hard fruits and vegetables that are not only tasty but can help in scrubbing away plaque from the teeth, thanks to the hard and crunchy characteristics.
- Cranberries. Actual cranberries (not cranberry juice) have polyphenols which are perfect for keeping bacteria from sticking to the teeth. These are often available at many holiday parties, making them easy to find and enjoy!
- Nuts. Nuts are great for snacking, as they have a wide range of healthy nutrients, including magnesium, calcium, zinc, and iron.
Tips on caring for the teeth during the holidays
Patients who visit with Dr. William V. Carlo and his team will often have questions about how to keep their smiles healthy during the holidays. Below are a few recommendations he has for patients to educate them on ways to protect the teeth and gums from decay and disease:
- Brush after every meal with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste to remove sugars and carbs from the teeth that can become acidic.
- Floss at least once a day to remove food particles from between the teeth.
- Visit the dentist at least every six months for a cleaning and evaluation, perhaps more if diagnosed with conditions that need more routine attention from a professional.
- When changes occur to your smile, be sure to make an appointment with the dentist for an evaluation. The earlier problems are caught, the sooner they can be resolved, and the less likely they are to become a more severe—and expensive—issue.
Schedule a visit at the practice of Dr. William V. Carlo today
If you are looking for a Bankers Hills dentist who is open to new patients and provides a wide selection of services under one roof, call to book an appointment with Dr. William V. Carlo of San Diego, California today. The office is located at 3330 3rd Avenue, Suite #200, and is available for new patients and families who call (619) 285-0950 to make an appointment. Whether you need a simple cleaning and evaluation or a complex full smile makeover, Dr. William V. Carlo can assist.